Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'd go back.

Come on in and grab a seat. The fire is up cuz it's a bit chilly and the skins are down cuz of the rain. Don't worry I've got the back ones open to get that fresh smell in here, the wind is coming from that direction, blows in the fresh air and pushes the old stuff up out the cave vent. See it up there? Normally that's where the bats roost but they're out right now.

I'd go back to 16. I've heard so many of my friends say they hated being a teenager. That they didn't come into their own until they were an adult. Well while I wouldn't say I came into my own as a teenager, I certainly had a lot of fun.

The funny thing is I'm not normally a reminiscent time of person. I don't pine for the good old days. Sure I like to tell stories, but they're usually laced with a touch of humour or sardonic wit. I recognize my Al Bundy-ish tendencies with my football stories. I know what I was is not who I am. But I had a lot of fun at 16.

I remember going to the All Star dinner, and when they got up to discuss who would be top lineman of the year, my head coach doing the presentation. It was hilarious. He listed all the nominees, and spent more time talking about me as the runner up. I got referred to as a 'Poor Man's Roger Aldag.' That is still one of the coolest compliments I've ever gotten. The guy who did win deserved it. I was the only grade 11 on the list of nominees. So many weird thoughts whirling through my head. I loved playing football.

But here's the thing. I would only go back if I could just visit. Re-experience. I wouldn't want to change anything, just ride along. And I'd have to be able to come back to now without missing a beat, because right now, I love it.

Life might be difficult with me in some areas, but for the most part, I'm so thrilled just to be where I am. I'm going to be 34, so 16 is more than half a life time away. I'm gladly writing and doing what I can in my chosen goals. I have fantastic friends. I have incredible and surprising kids. I even got two of the best compliments I've ever gotten recently. Someone told me talking to me made their day better. And one of Little Bear's friends, a girl who needs someone to just love her like a parent should, said she thought of me like a second dad. That means more to me than any awards dinner or compliment comparing me to one of my favorite athletes.

Because when it comes down to it folks, right now ... right here in this place we share ... in the middle of all that could be and will or won't be ... right now is pretty damn great.

No comments: