Sunday, April 18, 2010

Time slips

Come on in and take a quick seat. This is just a random thought bouncing around as I sit in the den and finish off another semester.

So my Little Bear is a teen, 14, and of those 14 or so years, only about 5 months of her life have not been spent living with me. And it bothers me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not much of a sentimentalist, I don't long for the good old days, or wish my children were small again. I find a wonderful joy in each new day as things change. So why do those missing months bother me?

Well because three of them came at a very early age when my ex-wife left and took Little Bear with her. She left being a little baby who still breast fed and while she walked a bit was not entirely mobile, to a toddler who spoke (admittedly not much) and could feed herself.

I can never have those three months back, I can never know what she was like during that time. And I covet that time others had with her because she is so incredible.

Dunno if there is a point here. Sometimes the only point we need is the tops of our heads.

No comments: