Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Take home exams

Come on in, still beautiful and the fire is still low. Some nice corned beef and rye bread available for some sandwiches. Garlic pickles too.

So let me explain something I hate. I hate take home exams. Do you want to know why I hate them? Because they're way more work than just going in and sitting down and writing a 3 hour exam. Well for me they're way more work. Let me explain.

I review constantly. When I leave a classroom, I think about what was discussed. I then get home and review my notes and compare it to the text book reading. You see I'm usually done all my reading, first run through at least, by the third week of the semester. I then start casually re-reading so I can identify things I have heard in lectures or things I might want to write about. Then once a week I go over my notes and readings, and ask myself questions about what gaps are in the knowledge. I usually email my professor or talk to them about these gaps and get suggestions on further reading, as well as do some casual research to find more info to fill in those gaps. Once a month I do a couple hour review that helps me link all this stuff together.

I work my butt off during the semester so that when it comes time for finals to happen, I can sit down and write for three hours and walk out knowing I've learned something and have been able to demonstrate it as well. So it pisses me off when I get a take home exam.

Because everyone always votes for a take home exam. Because it means they get to slack off and just do a research paper for the final. So because 99% of the other students want to be slackass fucktards, I have to now do another research paper?! Fuck you lazy cumstains. And to top it off, so I can pay rent I have to go back to work immediately and only take off the days for finals. So on these days off, rather than having a bit of a relax, writing a paper, and getting back to normal I have to spend it writing a fucking goddamn research paper!!

So it pisses me off. Fucking lazy shitheads.

4 comments:

cenobyte said...

how can a cumstain be lazy?

Silent Winged Coyote said...

If I have to explain it then it isn't funny anymore. :)

cenobyte said...

I like garlic pickles, though! They're not lazy!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one. I'd way rather do an exam and then wander off, happily knowing that my marginal amount of studying was enough to get me by. :)

I hear Australia is an awesome place to do postgrad studies.