Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I like soup

Come on in, enjoy the smell, tomorrow we'll have some wonderful turkey soup. The fire is low to let the soup cook nicely.

I do like cooking, and there's many things I love to cook. Not much of a baker. Never got the thrill out of baking that I get out of cooking. Baking is more like chemistry. Y'gotta follow the recipe or it goes blauw. Cooking seems more like an art, because while there are set rules for it you can play with them, change them, move them around. I like that creative element. Of course someone will disagree with that assessment but hey, it's how I see it.

I especially like making soups. Not only are they easy but they're also delicious. And they require as much inspiration as anything else. How else could I look at the desiccated corpse of a recently eaten animal and go 'That'll make a great soup!'

And they're very comforting for me. Dunno why, I don't have any reason for it to be a comfort food. But they're something about a nice rich soup made from scratch. It just smells good, it looks good, it tastes incredibly good.

So come by tomorrow, we'll ladle out a few bowls and share some stories around the fire, and just enjoy good food and good company.

No comments: