Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Good times

Come on in and enjoy the weather. The fire is low, but I think I've found what I need to set up a nice spirit lodge, maybe we can all have a good cleansing sweat.

So high school. My Little Bear will be going into it next year. And she's already got all these horrible pre-conceived notions and ideas and various things that make me want to scream, but instead of going on and on about how troublesome it is to be the father of a teen, instead I'm going to tell you a strange story. One so strange I am apparently the only one who has ever had this happen to them.

I had a good time in high school. I did. Not because I was popular, because I wasn't. And not because it was the best time of my life, because it wasn't even close. But I had a lot of fun in high school. I played tons of sports and enjoyed my classes, had few conflicts, enjoyed my time in band and choir, joined everything I possibly could and without a doubt enjoyed the vast majority.

Maybe this is because I had gone through a world of hurt before I even got into high school and had an idea of who I wanted to be. Maybe it was because I had a mother who taught me to be an independent thinker. Maybe it was because I was a stubborn idiot who didn't know any better that high school was supposed to be this angst filled pressure chamber of social pitfalls and self-doubt.

I got drunk, I got high, I got into fights, I got insulted and humiliated, and I had incredible triumphs and accolades. Overall it was a satisfying experience. I did good things, I did bad things, I did smart things, I did stupid things, I did embarrassing things, I did amazing things.

I think perhaps the few things I didn't do were get involved with girls, I was pretty much oblivious to the apparent legions of chicks who wanted to be with me, and take myself very seriously. For all my considerable flaws, I think the one thing I've always been able to do is not take myself all that seriously. I mean sure, I'm passionate and I get caught up in the moment at times but when all is said and done, I've always been able to laugh at myself, and take a step back and see when I'm just going too far. And then laugh my ass off at myself.

And I kinda hope some of that has rubbed off on my little bear. She tends to have a fairly good humour about herself, and I'm hoping she won't buy into all the bullshit social politics and labelling that occurs, and just does what she wants to do and be who she wants to be. And realizes, that while high school can be fun (for like ... me and that one gay guy who was accepted at his Catholic school) it isn't the be all end all of life's experiences. Oh and to laugh like you've just escaped from an insane asylum at yourself.

No comments: