Saturday, April 9, 2011

A while back...

Come on in and grab a seat.  A while back a terrible thing happened.  Well actually years of terrible things happened and eventually all the shit hit the fan and then the First Nations University of Canada almost died.  The greed, lack of leadership, and outright dishonesty of quite a few people almost cost a lot of students a home, a lot of people a job, and the loss of a great institution of learning.  So we as students headed up to the FSIN General Assembly, and at first I was asked to speak, then I got turfed.  Why, I don't know.  But I wrote a very pretty speech that was edited by the ever caring and wonderful Cenobyte.  And I found it, and thought, it's a pretty nice piece of writing, and something that is still valid.  So I'm going to share it.

My name is Richard Jensen and I come from the Pasqua Reserve. I was named after my grandfather Walter Richard Gordon, and it is with my grandfather’s actions in mind that I speak today. Those actions coupled with the teachings of my elders and the faculty of the First Nations University of Canada are what fill my mind and spirit, and while I would welcome the credit for the words I wish to speak I must give those before me their due. What I wish to address today is the wisdom of those who have a far greater understanding of our ways, of our past, and the strength and courage it gives to all who would follow the path they first laid. And while these words may come from one who may seem out of place, or less than those he would address, I beg for you to consider not the messenger but instead the message, because without that strength and courage I would not be able to speak to you all today.


I have no claim to being an expert on the history of my people but I have had excellent teachers. They have taught me of how the leaders of the past were chosen, of the importance placed on leadership, and how it was both enacted and received. Our leaders were not seen as the final word on any given subject, instead they were the speakers and caretakers of our people. Their main goal was to serve the people who made them their leader. They did this through giving of themselves to the point of poverty and not through threats or deception. These leaders did not ask for trust but earned it with their actions and decisions, knowing that at any time their people could ignore them in favour of another. Communication was vital; they were open to all who would wish to speak to them and saw their leadership not just as an honour but a duty to continually improve the lives of those they led.

What made this work was the understanding that consensus was vital. A leader had to get the approval of everyone they led to put any plan into action. Without that nothing was done. This may have taken longer than more European systems but once consensus was reached the speed with which a plan was enacted was spectacular. When everyone is pulling for the same goal incredible things happen in a very short period of time. This meant that leaders had to listen as well as speak; they had to understand every nuance of the plan to make sure that the entire community was satisfied with the final decision. It also meant they had to know their community better than anyone else. And they had to know how and when to negotiate, when to compromise and the best manner in which to compromise.

These are the points I brought up in our meeting with the board of directors last Friday. My own experience as a student, as well as the things I have heard from other students and faculty, led me to question whether or not these were what our leaders at FNUC had in mind. When I was done asking my question, the entire room burst into applause. I was happy to be able to speak for all those in the room, but more than that I was incredibly saddened that this feeling of failed leadership, of a lack of communication, compassion, and understanding was shared by everyone in the room. Instead of answering my question, each board member stood on their soapbox and spouted their favorite political point about the university, from the right of education held within the Treaties, to an impassioned ‘I love this university’ appeal to emotion. They then proceeded to do what they have done for the past five years. They told us to be patient and trust them, to have faith that they indeed knew the truth of the matter and it would come out in time.

We, the students and the faculty of the FNUC, feel that their window of blind trust has been exhausted. We feel that they have done nothing to honour their roles as leaders and continue to abuse their positions. They know nothing of us as students, or as teachers, and they care little to rectify that. We may be mere students still making our way, but we know enough that we know that is the truth: There has to be a better way.

I understand that as a university there is certain requirements we must fulfill. I know that it is an entirely European modeled institution and as such we must satisfy those things that are expected from a university, but that does not mean we have to do them in the same context. We have to get to the same place but we do not have to follow the same road map. I am not speaking of a radical new way of doing things or even of seeing them, merely a subtle shift in perspective. Rather than seeing the university as something that must be done this way because that is the way it was done in the past, instead approach it as this is the structure we must maintain, how do we do it while being true to who we are as a people. How can the leaders of the students and faculty impart to them the knowledge of both the university system and knowledge of First Nations ideals and principles? Even a change such as complete transparency of board meetings and decisions, as well as an open communication between the upper levels of the administration and the general faculty would be a huge step in this direction, yet even this is not something that we have seen.

I am not here today to tell you what to do. We as students did not come here to demand your attention so we can get our way. What you see before you is an incredible example of consensus. We are all here today to tell you how we feel about the situation at FNUC and to beg you to consider us, people you have sworn to lead, at your mercy. We beg you to listen to us and to our concerns, as well as the beginnings of the solutions we have found and do what you find to be best for us. We pray and wait for your wisdom and judgment.

Kind of wish I had had the chance to say it aloud, but hey, some of you out there can still appreciate it.

No comments: