Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Danger (to me) of Ulysses

Come in out of the wind and snow, enjoy the fire. There's some carrots and apples for those that wish to nibble. My mind is meandering, and I think it's nice. Of course it has motivation.

I'm reading Ulysses by James Joyce, for my class that is an author study of said author. While some (Cenobyte) might decry the novel I'm rather enjoying it. Perhaps I'm criminally insane. Probably not a bad judgement.

Anyways, the danger I've found is that because the author has so brilliantly caught the stream of thought of his characters I find my own mind wandering as I read. Sure the words are still being read and the eyes are moving down the page but my mind is off doing its own thing. So I gotta back up and start over a bit further up and start re-reading things. This isn't bad though, like I said, I'm really enjoying the novel.

Now if I could just find a way to be as discussed as Joyce is and we're all set. :)

No comments: