Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

Come on in, the den is cosy, and well ventilated. Good breeze coming through and I've found some nice cedar to add to the fire. Ooooh and sausages and perogies!! So I thought while we munch I'd give you the highlights of my first week of practice.

I had to give up one of my returning vets, and the biggest guy I had to the defensive line. This upset me kinda. But I know Brandon, the vet I was giving up will be a much better defensive lineman if they can train some agression into him. Taking the big guy was ok and what not, they really do need the size to counteract the lack of experience. So I'm ok with it. I did end up with 7 guys who all have the right demeanor and mindset to really excell at being linemen. And this above all else makes me happy.

So far all the parents I've talked to are happy to see me coaching their kid, even tho I scream, rant, rave, and push their children to insane new levels of performance, and they come home sore, and grumpy and hating me. Strangely this translates to the kids. I'm the 'bad cop' but I'm also the coach they all talk to and ask questions and tell stuff to. Hmmm.

The player who I had the biggest problem with last year is back as a volunteer coach. He and I get along great. There is no problem and he watches as I put the kids through the same paces he went through, and then ENCOURAGES them to try harder because it really does pay off.

I've pulled several muscles, mostly just from doing things I'm not used to. Like running a 40 yard sprint (6.2 sec, not bad for a fat smoker) or holindg blocking positions. So on and so forth. However I did pull muscles in my shoulder rather badly. Y'see I was showing the kids how NOT to do something because they might hurt themselves, and while demonstrating, I hurt myself exactly how you can be hurt when you do it wrong. Oh the IRONY!!! And it's really fucking annoying because I can barely move my left arm!! Lucky that's not the 'lovin' arm.

I know how to coach technique. Two days!! TWO DAYS and my oversized 13 year old is kicking ass!! I love it when that happens.

I am confident that were we to have to play tomorrow my line would fufill their duties with a good deal of skill and carnage. Love it.

That's all from the football field for now folks. Check back for more updates!

No comments: