Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The City That Rhymes With Fun!

Come on in, the rain is providing such beautiful music and smells. I've got some munchies, mostly veggies and such but it's good fare. Come and sit with me a while, so I can tell you about my favorite place in the world.

I love my home town. I was born and raised here and all things considered, will most likely die here. I love it's streets and buildings, I love the feel of it, the smell, the sounds. I've lived right in the core of it and couldn't think of a nicer sound than all that traffic in the middle of the night. Love it.

I love the people of this city. They are genuinely friendly people. Very rarely do I run into some one who is going out of their way to be miserable to a stranger. Well unless it's someone in the service industry but I think that's becoming the norm everywhere.

I love that I have just about every single creature comfort and type of culture available to me without sacrificing that 'small town feel' people talk about here. And in case you were wondering, there is very little you can't get here, and even then, you could probably fanangle it anyways.

I've never had a desire to live elsewhere. Well, maybe the valley but that's because it just feels like an extension of this beautiful place. With a lower sea level. I love this city and always will.

It's not just because I was born here, trust me there are enough folks who hate here to show you that being born here doesn't engender a strong home feeling. It is everything about it that makes it so special to me.

In line with that are my own personal goals which really focus on making this place a better and better place. I volunteer for many different things so I can help make this place a more enjoyable home for all. my own education goals have me staying here to attempt my own little world changing movement.

It's not that I don't like to travel, I've travelled lots, I love road trips. I like anything that gets me someplace else and will let me experience new things. I just don't feel the need to travel to make me appreciate my home because I already do. I've never understood the 'see the world' mentality when it comes to 'broadening my horizons.' I'm quite aware of the fact that there is a huge world out there beyond my home, I just know I can't change all of that without first changing this. So why worry about it until it becomes important?

And no this doesn't mean I'm not critical of my home, I have many things I dislike about this place, like the whole no alcohol while lookin' at nekkid people thing. That's just so stupid. It means of course that we can't afford to get any quality nekkid people and end up with ... well I like the dancing that the nekkid people do. Not much of that here. Sucks.

Mebbe if I ever move out to the valley I'll start an underground drinkin' and watchin' nekkid people place. Of course I'll probably end up getting boot stomped into dust by our government but y'know it'd be a fun ride.

Sorry that was a digression, more on point, I recognize those things that need to improve in my city. I don't just casually accept them out of blind love, instead work to better them. I love this place so it deserves my best.

I'm so happy my kids get to grow up here, and experience what I have. Of course it will be different for them but hopefully they'll come to recognize and appreciate the beauty here. Then again, to each their own and if they find another place to call home I wish them the best.

I know this seems like a long winded bit of fluff, but it comes with a serious set of questions. What do you think of your home? Does it thrill you? Do you love it and feel connected to it? Would being someplace else really provide those things or is it in fact you who needs to recognize what is already in front of you? Everything is what you make it folks. You get what you give. Next time you feel like you don't belong somewhere, maybe it's because you never tried to live there. So live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of home, when you live away and people ask you where you're from, you eventually begin to tire of the 'Rhymes with fun' explanations.

Henceforth, I have decided to call my hometown Rejayjay.

Silent Winged Coyote said...

I'm so using that!