Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Health

Ooooh such beautiful weather. So good I turned on the A/C. Sad huh? I don't do well with too much heat. I prefer the cold. But the den is delightfully full of sunlight and a fresh breeze, so enjoy.

Speaking of my lack of enjoyment in heat, I thought I'd let you folks in on some of my body things. So yes we're going to talk about my body which is a pretty neat device. So to start this, I just completed participating in a clinical trial of Lantus. This is because I'm a Type II Diabetic. It makes life lots of fun and for a while I really didn't take care of it. I ended up in the hospital near death. That's not hyperbole, it's the truth. my sugars were averaging about 18, which should be between 4 and 7, and my triglycerides were somewhere around 22, when it should be 3. I should be dead, luckily my wonderful body is pretty damn tough.

I have however been taking much better care of myself over the past few years and my last visit had these wonderful benchmarks. My A1c is continuing to lower, I lost 4kg (That's close to 9 lbs for you non-metric folks) and all my other stats (blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, etc.) are all in the normal range. And I FEEL healthier. My eyesight is better, my energy levels are up, I'm not constantly tired after eating. However there is still one thing about my fabulous body that makes some of this difficult.

Thing is I'm hypersensitive. My sense of touch, smell, taste, and hearing are all exceptional. When I quit smoking the smells around me are so intense that it actually becomes physically painful in certain situations. Like heavily applied perfumes. MAN, that just about kills me now, let alone when my sense of smell is at full tilt. I can pick out separate tastes in what I eat, I can hear the tiniest noises (and can grow ever increasingly irritated by them) and the whole touch thing?

Well the plus side is it makes my wonderfully good at finding aches and pains on other people. The subtle changes in heat, skin tension, and reaction to touch makes finding them easy. And ladies? It also makes me a very appreciative and reactive intimate partner. I basically turn into one huge erogenous zone during sex. It's very fun.

The flip side is I get incredibly irritated with clothes. Keys in my pocket, hell even too much change, causes me to get pissy. I never enjoyed boxers, cuz when my boys are moving too free it really gets bothersome. And the needles... Since I have to inject myself with insulin every day, I was told repeatedly, 'Oh you'll get used to it.' Guess what? I haven't. I can feel the steel slide into my flesh, and even holding the insulin pen perfectly still, I can still feel the invader in my flesh. Blood tests, IVs, everything that goes into me is HIGHLY disturbing. So I don't think I will ever get used to it. But I also have had to learn incredible control when it comes to how much I feel, so I can shut it out for brief periods. But thinking about it without enacting that control? Just makes me grit my teeth and get all kinds of pissy.

But overall, the SWC is in good health.

No comments: