Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A part of a complete education.

Ahh good, you found your way back. I know it's dark out and the shadows tend to reach out to caresse you, but don't worry. Dark things live here, but that doesn't make them bad or evil. Just ... hard to focus on. Well get yourself comfortable, I've found some new blankets, and I think I'll even light a fire, that might make some of you more at home. Pull up a bit of earth and find a warm stretch of cloth to wrap yourself in, then lean in and give an ear.

Seeing as how I've always worked in certain types of jobs, I've come to a nifty little idea. No matter what job I've done, even those not directly dealing with the public, it has always had a customer service aspect. Not only that, but with the experiences I've had in the service industry I've got a better knowledge of what those jobs demand, and am somewhat more understanding of certain circumstances. I also have no patience for bad service when it occurs for no reason.

Oh right a point, I had one. Here it is, hiding back in the shadows. I think everyone must complete at least 6 months of a job in the service industry as a part of their education. You cannot be considered a graduate of any diploma or degree without having spent time serving the public in some capacity. And I don't mean some stretched definition. I mean all those lovely jobs that most people consider themselves 'above.' Working at McDonald's, wait staff, call center, any front line service job that makes you work at having a positive attitude while dealing with people. And I don't mean six months total. You gotta do it for six months straight without a complaint or getting your sorry ass fired.

Most folks can see the benefits of this idea, but some will go 'Oh that's not fair, not everyone is suited to those types of jobs.' Well, four words for ya: Suck it up, buttercup. While I will admit that not everyone is capable of maintaining a service job for an extended period of time (these types of jobs tend to lead to burn out, being 'on' all the time is taxing) everyone should be able to complete six good months in this type of work. Why? Because every job, no matter what you do will entail some form of customer service, even if it's dealing with your boss. Not only that but those skills of dealing with people who are generally being demanding of your good will transfer rather well to other places beyond the work place.

Of course, I also think we should all be required to know the basic laws that we will all have to deal wtih like rent, collections, bill payments, so on, without it being an elective, but again, that might happen on another night here in the den.

No comments: