Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas: Not a fan.

Come in and enjoy the warmth of the fire, the dance of the shadows, and the lull in the business of this season. So many things expected of us, so many dollars to go so far, and far too much food to consume. Enjoy the pistachios, there is still some left.

From about the age of 15 or so I haven't much enjoyed Christmas. Not the holiday, or the underlying themes, but the ideology and the expectations of it. I don't go in for all the ritual involved. I never enjoyed the multitude of jobs that came with Christmas. About the only thing I do enjoy is the gathering of my family and the love and joy of being all in one place. I even enjoy the fighting and annoyance that close quarters breeds. I'm funny that way.

I don't put up a tree. No one should have to work that hard on a holiday. Nor is the ritual sacrifice of an evergreen tree as an idol that appealing to me. I buy gifts, but I don't overspend or rack up large chunks of credit. I tend to also go with gifts that have some form of meaning or bond between me and the person I'm buying for. Our own family has reduced it's spending by doing a Christmas draw for one adult rather than buying for everyone.

The thing I can say about the holiday is the unity and sense of family and community it creates is wonderful. I'm one of those idealists who say 'Let the theme of the holidays last the whole year round.' And I do try. Of course, life isn't a matter of doing only the things you choose to.

Is there a point, not really. Just rambling away with my thoughts. That happens sometimes. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Light a lamp, so on and so forth. :)

1 comment:

Viper Pilot said...

Dude, my xmas. Or should I say: your Festivus is my Festivus (is a Festivus for the rest of us).

I look forward to smashing our families together for the festive season one of these years. And then we can sit back and watch the fireworks.